Sprite layout parser for MAGES. engine.
This app restores original sprites from
.lay files found in
Note that this parser doesn't work with mpk files directly, you need to unpack sprites beforehand.
There's a good tool for this: https://github.com/rdavisau/sg-unpack
Compatible games are listed in the compatibility list below. This list will be updated as soon as I'll test (and maybe fix) the parser for other titles. If you find out that it works with non-listed games correctly, feel free to submit PR or issue. Or patches, if they're not. ¯\(ツ)/¯
You also can read format description here. It's based solely on reverse-engineering of s;g0 sprites and thus is rough and incomplete, but it should give approximate vision of the file structure.
- Q: My archive has .cpk extension. How do I unpack it?
A: Use arc_unpacker project:
arc_unpacker --dec=cri/cpk --no-recurse chara.cpk
Q: After unpacking chara archive I see
.gxtfiles instead of
A: GXT is a PS Vita texture format. Convert them into png before using sg-sprite
with this tool: Scarlet Project.
Converted PNGs will have
(Image 0)suffix but starting from 0.2.3 sg-sprite will pick them up nevertheless, so you don't need to rename them to match
Resulting sprites may have glitchy background in this case, and I suspect this is a gxt-to-png conversion issue (you can confirm it if you look into one of converted/source PNGs). Let me know if there is any better maintained converter, so I can replace the link.
- Q: After unpacking chara archive I see
Q: I see some transparent PNGs with
_oXsuffix in output folder. What are these?
- A: These are overlays. They are intended to be drawn on top of the sprite, you can do this yourself in your favorite photo editor (e.g. GIMP). They should be compatible with most of the sprites in file. Also, they have same size as original sprite, so you don't need to do any manual positioning.
- Q: I see some transparent PNGs with
- Steins;Gate 0
- Steins;Gate Steam Edition
- Steins;Gate Linear Bounded Phenogram
- Steins;Gate My Darling's Embrace
- Yahari Game Demo Ore no Seishun Love-Kome wa Machigatteiru. Zoku
Builds for Windows and Linux are available at Github releases
Note that this app has no gui. You should run it from the console.
--help for details on usage.
sg-sprite -d out *.lay
Install cargo (https://www.rust-lang.org/tools/install)
Run this command in the project directory:
cargo build --release
Resulting binary will be in