A Perl framework for implementing Git (and Gerrit) hooks.
What's this about?
Git hooks are programs you install in Git repositories in order to augment Git's functionality.
The Git::Hooks Perl module is a framework that makes it easier to implement and use Git hooks. It comes with a set of plugins already implementing useful functionality for you to make sure your commits comply with your project policies. As a Git user or a Git server administrator you probably don't need to implement any hooks for most of your needs, just to enable and configure some of the existing plugins.
Git::Hooks is installed like any other Perl module. It's easier to use a CPAN
client, such as
cpan, so that dependencies are installed
$ cpanm Git::Hooks $ cpan Git::Hooks
You can even use it directly from a clone of its Git repository. All you have to do is to tell Perl where to find it by using this in your scripts:
use lib '/path/to/clone/of/git-hooks/lib'; use Git::Hooks;
The main module documents its usage
in detail. Each plugin is implemented as a separate module under the
Git::Hooks:: name space. Git::Hooks distribution comes with a set of plugins
and you can find more on
CPAN. The native
plugins provided by the distribution are these:
- Git::Hooks::CheckCommit - enforce commit policies
- Git::Hooks::CheckDiff - check differences between commits
- Git::Hooks::CheckFile - check file names and contents
- Git::Hooks::CheckJira - integrate with Jira
- Git::Hooks::CheckLog - enforce log message policies
- Git::Hooks::CheckReference - check reference names
- Git::Hooks::CheckRewrite - protect against unsafe rewrites
- Git::Hooks::CheckWhitespace - detect whitespace errors
- Git::Hooks::GerritChangeId - insert Gerrit's Change-Ids into commit messages
- Git::Hooks::Notify - notify users via email
- Git::Hooks::PrepareLog - prepare commit messages before being edited
For a gentler introduction you can read our Git::Hooks::Tutorial. It has instructions for Git users, Git administrators, and Gerrit administrators.
In order to ask questions or to report problems, please, file an issue at GitHub.
Copyright & License
Git::Hooks is copyright (c) 2008-2020 of CPQD.
This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. About the only thing you can't do is pretend that you wrote code that you didn't.
Gustavo Chaves firstname.lastname@example.org