smallDNS - Simple multi-agent locally listable DNS
Super simple DNS implementation where each machine pings the master server with it's hostname and ip address.
The server stores keeps a locally hosted, file based, DNS map which stores the mapping from hostnames to ip addresses.
The client scripts ping the server if they notice a change in ip address (either from reboot or lease renewal).
- Client scripts can be deployed on multiple agents without any setup
- Server keeps track of any agents that have been added
- Client will only ping the server if a change is noticed
- Server can generate a hosts file that can be merged with
- The server needs to have a static ip address that must be configured in the client script
- Go (server)
- Bash, wget (client)
Command Line Arguments:
-debugprints debug information
-udppings with udp instead of icmp (doesn't require root, but doesn't seem to work on linux)
-port <port number>serves on the specified port (default 7979)
- Set up cron job to execute
pingDNS.shat a reasonable interval (example in