Immature Newsgroup NNTP server using Nim and SQLite
The goal of this server is to provide a flexible NNTP interface to whatever you want. Articles are stored in SQLite and the server itself is simple enough to be flexible if you need it to be. It is not designed to peer with Usenet although it could be considered for a future improvement. No policy is implemented and all commands are accepted even to logged-out users
- RFC-977 should be implemented in full
- RFC-3977 in implemented in part (missing XOVER kind of requests and many others)
- RFC-4642: STARTTLS extension is drafted (not tested, might not be secure)
- RFC-4643: AUTH extension is drafted with USER/PASS, SASL PLAIN (RFC-4616) and SASL SCRAM RFC-5802 (missing user database yet!)
- RFC-850: Message structure, control messages, not implemented at all except very basic parsing of headers and body following mostly RFC-822
Goals: I'm writing this in hope to link it with mailman so mailing lists can be mirrored to newsgroups.
nimble install -d nim c -d:ssl src/nimnews
You can omit
-d:ssl if you don't want to compile with STARTTLS support.
Try it out:
src/nimnews -p 1119 -f example.org --secure
You need to provide the fully qualified domain name as command-line argument (mandatory) and the port number defaults to 119 (you need to be root). You can tell nimnews that you have a TLS tunneling and it can safely receive passwords in clear using
--secure or you can configure STARTTLS with
--skey (untested yet). use
--help for full help message.
Nimnews is a simple newsgroup NNTP server Usage: nimnews [options] Options: -h, --help Print help -p, --port <port> Specify a different port [default: 119] -d, --db <file> Database file [default: ./nimnews.sqlite] -f, --fqdn <fqdn> Fully qualified domain name -s, --secure Indicates that the connection is already encrypted --cert <pemfile> PEM certificate for STARTTLS --skey <pemfile> PEM secret key for STARTTLS