A library for generating coherent noise. It can be used to procedurally create natural-looking textures (such as wood, stone, or clouds), terrain heightmaps, normal maps, and a lot more.
SharpNoise is a loose port of Jason Bevins' libNoise to C#. SharpNoise is published unter the terms of the Gnu LGPL 3.
Available on NuGet: https://www.nuget.org/packages/SharpNoise
SharpNoise has modules as building blocks for noise generators. There are two kinds of modules:
- Generator modules, which produce noise values and have no sources
- Modifier and Combiner modules, which take one or more source modules and produce a new output from the values of their sources.
These modules can be joined together in a tree of noise modules to generate very complex noise patterns.
To see how to use SharpNoise, check out the example applications:
- BeginnerSample is a very simple first sample that just renders an image from a noisemap and saves it as a PNG.
- ComplexPlanetExample generates a complex planetary surface, using over 100 connected noise modules.
- OpenGLExample renders ever-changing data from a simpler noise generator in real time, using OpenGL 3.3.
- NoiseTester is a rough visualization tool that shows how the output of different modules is combined.
There is a separate solution with the example applications in the Examples/ folder.
I think SharpNoise is in a pretty OK state and am not doing a lot of work on it any more. However, I would like to fix any bugs or other issues that crop up. So if anything's not right, please let me know.