Orchestra is a Django-based framework for building web hosting control panels.
There are a lot of widely used open source hosting control panels, however, none of them seems apropiate when you already have an existing service infrastructure or simply you want your services to run on a particular architecture.
The goal of this project is to provide the tools for easily build a fully featured control panel that is not tied to any particular service architecture.
- The admin interface is based on Django Admin. The resulting interface is very model-centric with a limited workflow pattern: change lists, add and change forms. The advantage is that only little declarative code is required.
- It does not provide a customer-facing interface, but provides a REST API that allows you to build one.
- Service orchestration, resource management, billing, accountancy is provided in a decoupled way, meaning:
- You can develop new services without worring about those parts
- You can replace any of these parts by your own implementation without carring about the others
- You can reuse any of those modules on your Django projects
- Be advised, because its flexibility Orchestra may be more tedious to deploy than traditional web hosting control panels.
Fast Deployment Setup
This deployment is not suitable for production but more than enough for checking out this project. For other deployments checkout these links:
# Create and activate a Python virtualenv # Make sure python3.x-venv package is installed on your system python3 -mvenv env-django-orchestra source env-django-orchestra/bin/activate # Install Orchestra and its dependencies pip3 install http://git.io/django-orchestra-dev # The only non-pip required dependency for runing pip3 install is python3-dev sudo apt-get install python3-dev pip3 install -r http://git.io/orchestra-requirements.txt # Create a new Orchestra site orchestra-admin startproject panel python3 panel/manage.py migrate python3 panel/manage.py runserver
Now you can see the web interface on
Install django-orchestra following any of these methods:
Generate a password-less SSH key for user
orchestraand transfer it to your servers:
orchestra@panel:~ ssh-keygen orchestra@panel:~ ssh-copy-id firstname.lastname@example.org
Now add the servers using the web interface
/admin/orchestration/servers, check that the SSH connection is working and Orchestra is able to report servers uptimes.
Configure your services, one at a time, staring with domains, databases, webapps, websites, ...
- Add related routes via
- Configure related settings on
- If required, configure related resources like account disk limit, VPS traffic, etc
- Test if create and delete service instances works as expected
- Do the same for the remaining services. You can disable services that you don't want by editing
- Add related routes via
Configure billing by adding services
/admin/plans/plan/. Once a service is created hit the Update orders button to create orders for existing service instances, orders for new instances will be automatically created.
Copyright (c) 2014 - Marc Aymerich and individual contributors. All Rights Reserved.
Django-orchestra is licensed under The BSD License (3 Clause, also known as the new BSD license). The license is an OSI approved Open Source license and is GPL-compatible(1).
The license text can also be found here: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of Marc Aymerich, nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL Ask Solem OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.