This is small library with some implemented coefficients (or indices) intended to measure inequality or concentration of the values in a population.
- Ordinary. Follows this formula:
- Corrected. Uses a correction for small datasets based on Deltas, 2003.
Ratio top / rest. Follows this formula:
Where k is is the ceil value for 100 - percentage you define.
For instance, if you take k = 10, you are getting the ratio of inequality between the top 10% percentage and the rest 90% percentage. In particular, this specific value of k is given to you directly by the
This library is hosted on PyPI, so installation is straightforward. The easiest way to install type this at the command line (Linux, Mac, or Windows):
pip install inequality_coefficients
This library also depends on numpy, but
pip should take of that for
For the simplest, typical use cases, this tells you everything you need to know.:
import inequality_coefficients as ineq data = array([1.7, 3.2 ...]) # data can be list of nums or numpy array gini_coeff = ineq.gini(data) ratio_top_rest = ineq.ratio_top10_rest(data)
To setup the development environment install all the dev dependiencies with
pip install -r requirements.txt and install the latest version in your sites-packages with
python setup.py develop.
I use pytest. Install it with
pip install -U pytest and run the test with the development setup with
Firstly, I was based on Felipe Ortega's wikixray code for implementing the gini coefficient, however, my code has changed so much (I have even fixed a bug in his code) and also now I'm using numpy as backend.
Anyway, I want to thank him for open sourcing that project.