MasterCard file utilities
Set of command line utilities to work with various MasterCard files.
- Free software: BSD license
- Documentation: https://mciutil.readthedocs.org.
THIS PACKAGE HAS BEEN DEPRECATED AND WILL NOT BE UPDATED GOING FORWARD
This package was created when I first started learning python. I have learned a lot over the last 4 years and I now see the error in my ways.
Some of the issues with this module that prompted me to rewrite it:
- memory efficiency - loads entire file into memory for processing. Very ineffient and not very scalable
- programming interface - mciutil did not consider the developer experience. You have to hack to use the logic elsewhere
- dependencies - Too many third party modules, with ones that required a compilation. New version is compile free
- bloat - I used a cookie cutter template when I started and it has stuff I don't like, value or use.
- just mastercard - The old module was for mastercard only but I think it makes sense to have a library for all card utils
- python 2 guff - mciutil works on py2 and 3. There is a lot of gunk in the code to make this work. We live in a py3 world now!
The replacement module is cardutil - see https://cardutil.readthedocs.io It addresses all of the above issues.
why not just update mciutil?
Thats a good question. I think because the new codebase as developed from scratch rather than via changes to the existing one (there is some borrowed code from mciutil). If I just released a new version, anyone leaning on the internal API's would definetly be in trouble as they are not the same.
Provides the following command line utilities:
- paramconv: Utility for working with MasterCard MPE parameter extract files
- mideu: Utility for working with MasterCard IPM files