Spotixplore V 0.2.0
1. What is this about?
Important note: Spotixplore is not finished!
This tool has been created to explore the possibilities of the Spotify WEB API, and more specifically, the way in which music is recommended and related. Spotixplore provides a bunch of metrics for each song track, in order to develop patterns that allow a better understanding of the operation of Spotify, as well as the study of music production and consumption and the effect on users.
The most important part of this tool, is the output for network graph visualization.
Type of Nodes: There are 5 type of nodes.
- 1: Original tracks from Playlists
- 2: Recommended tracks
- 3: Original artists from playlists
- 4: Artists from recommended tracks
- 5: Related artists
- (1)Original tracks --> (2)Recommended tracks
- (3)Original artists --> (5)Related Artists
- (3)Recommended tracks --> (4)Artists from recommended tracks
For each playlist, the tool will output 1 csv with all edges + 1 xlsx with all node information. You'll need a network graph visualization software (such as Gephi) to load this data and create the visualization.
Output Examples Please, visit the folder "output_examples" to see examples.
¿Need help? This tool is under development, and I'm working on it in my free time. Do not hesitate to contact me if you think you can make contributions or want to collaborate.
Spotify applies some limitations.
If you are interested in limitations. visit:
Option 1: Pip install
...$: pip install spotixplore
Option 2: Hardcode
Step 1: Clone this repository in your pc
...$: git clone https://github.com/AdriaPadilla/spotixplore.git
Step 2: Access the main folder
...$: cd spotixlpre
Step 3: Execute install
.../spotixplore/$: python3 setup.py install
To use this applications, you'll need Spotify API credentials:
- Go to: https://developer.spotify.com/dashboard/login
- Create a new account or login
- Click on "Create Client ID"
- Copy your "Client ID" and "Client Secret"
- Open "credentials.py" and place your credentials between " ":
SPOTIPY_CLIENT_ID = "YOUR CLIENT ID" SPOTIPY_CLIENT_SECRET = "YOU SECRET CLIENT ID"
- Go to the installation folder
- find starting_point.py
- Put your Spotify playlist (one, or more). Following the correct format:
PLAYLISTS = ["4KvPhEa7g4aeCfOp3HMtOj", "anotherplaylist", "anotherplaylist"]
To execute, just run main.py:
.../your_path_to/spotixplore/$: python3 main.py
.../no_matter_where_you_are/$: python3 -m spotixplore.main
Change the nº of related tracks
Working to make it more easy!
You have to change "limit=" property on line 25 of "get_recommended_tracks.py"