Kubetest is a pytest plugin that makes it easier to manage a Kubernetes cluster within your integration tests. While you can use the Kubernetes Python client directly, this plugin provides some cluster and object management on top of that so you can spend less time setting up and tearing down tests and more time actually writing your tests. In particular, this plugin is useful for testing your Kubernetes infrastructure (e.g., ensure it deploys and behaves correctly) and for testing disaster recovery scenarios (e.g. delete a pod or deployment and inspect the aftermath).
- Simple API for common cluster interactions.
- Uses the Kubernetes Python client as the backend, so more complex custom actions are possible.
- Load Kubernetes manifest YAMLs into their Kubernetes models.
- Each test is run in its own namespace and the namespace is created and deleted automatically.
- Detailed logging to help debug error cases.
- Wait functions for object readiness and for object deletion.
- Get container logs and search for expected logging output.
- Plugin-managed RBAC permissions at test-case granularity using pytest markers.
For more information, see the kubetest documentation.
This plugin can be installed with
pip install kubetest
Note that the
kubetest package has entrypoint hooks defined in its
which allow it to be automatically made available to pytest. This means that it will run
whenever pytest is run. Since
kubetest expects a cluster to be set up and to be given
configuration for that cluster, pytest will fail if those are not present. It is therefore
recommended to only install
kubetest in a virtual environment or other managed environment,
such as a CI pipeline, where you can assure that cluster access and configuration are
See the kubetest documentation page for details on command line usage, available fixtures and markers, and general pytest integration.
Feedback for kubetest is greatly appreciated! If you experience any issues, find the documentation unclear, have feature requests, or just have questions about it, we'd love to know. Feel free to open an issue for any feedback you may have.
kubetest is released under the GPL-3.0 license.