pudl is a python package (with an included CLI) that wraps python-ldap and provides a somewhat-oo interface to Active Directory user, group and computer objects, retreived via LDAP with TLS. While not necessarily a replacement for existing client libraries and the ldapsearch binary, the api and bundled cli are perhaps simpler to work with than alternatives, for many common queries.
For the full API reference and CLI usage with examples, please see the full project documentation.
To get up and running, the following must be installed:
- python 2.7.x
The Easy Way
pip install pudl
- Create a virtual environment and activate
- Clone this git repository
- pip install .
Optionally for sphinx document generation, pip install the following
Optionally, it may be desirable to set a few envrionment variables, e.g.:
- PUDL_BASE_DN - This is an important one to set, such as 'OU=Departments,DC=example,DC=com'.
- PUDL_DOMAIN - Also a key setting, the AD domain is prepended to the user name for authentication.
- PUDL_PAGE_SIZE - Adjusting the page size may result in faster queries, defaults to 300 results per page.
- PUDL_TLS_NO_VERIFY - Provides an encrypted communication channel with TLS, but does not verify the server's identity. Use with caution.
Example CLI Usage
Retrieve JSON representations of two users
pudl user bhodges jdupont
Retrieve three groups, serialized to yaml
pudl group HR Finance Technology --output-format=yaml
Apache License, version 2.0. Please see LICENSE